Working at Health is challenging, rewarding and a worthwhile investment in your career.
The following points should help you to apply for a job at Health.
If you have any questions about the vacancy or recruitment process, contact the nominated person in the advertisement.
Health uses an online recruitment system for all job applications. The online recruitment help page has further details about using the online recruitment system.
Our system will help you to apply for:
- general positions
- graduate positions through our Graduate Development Program
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander positions.
The following tells you what to consider when applying for a job at Health.
Preparing your application
Integrated Leadership System
Health uses the Australian Public Service (APS)-wide Integrated Leadership System (ILS). You should refer to the ILS capabilities to make sure you understand the expectations of the role. Details for each classification level are on the Australian Public Service Commission’s (APSC) ILS resources: Profiles, comparatives and self assessment page.
The following points will help you to prepare your job application.
Make sure you:
- read the Job Requirements outlined in the Job Description and Applicant Information Kit
- research the department
- ask the contact officer if you have questions about the position.
You will need to consider:
- the ILS at the correct APS level for the position
- structuring your response to demonstrate your relevant skills, capabilities and experience
- writing in a clear and concise manner
- checking spelling and grammar
- the word limit for your responses
- formatting your answers
- the closing date.
APS Values and Code of Conduct
The APSC provides useful tips for applying for a job in the public service. You can find their tips in the “Cracking the Code” factsheets.
Do you have a disability?
Health welcomes applications from skilled achievers with disability. Health is a leading APS employer of staff with disability and a member of the Australian Network on Disability. We commit to supporting high performance from our staff with disability.
All applicants are offered the opportunity throughout the recruitment process to access reasonable adjustments. This can be in order to participate in the recruitment process, or adjustments that enable you to fully function in the workplace if you are the successful applicant.
To apply for a job at Health, you need to be:
- an Australian citizen
- a permanent resident who is eligible to apply for citizenship.
In some cases, our Secretary may waive this requirement. You will see this in the job advertisement.
Your health declaration
You will need to complete a Health Declaration form when you begin your employment at Health. The Health Declaration helps us to:
- decide whether an existing health issue could affect your ability to do your job
- meet our duty of care under the occupational health and safety legislation
- make any reasonable adjustments that you require in the workplace.
Character and security clearance
You will need to complete an Australian Federal Police check when you start working with us. This will help us to make sure you are a suitable person for your new role.
You may require a security clearance for your job at Health, if you deal with sensitive or confidential information. The job advertisement will identify the need for a security assessment.