Diversity helps us to:
- be more innovative
- develop good policy
- better understand and serve our clients
- attract a wide range of talented staff.
Our inclusive workplace understands and respects differences, such as:
- caring responsibilities
- cultural background
- educational level
- gender expression
- Intersex status
- religious beliefs
- sexual orientation.
Our action plans
We have action plans to support an inclusive and diverse workforce, including our:
Champions promoting diversity
Our senior executives play an important role as champions, providing leadership that creates a positive and inclusive workplace.
Our champions include:
- Disability and Carers Champions
- Health Pride Champions
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Champions
- Multicultural Champions.
We give staff a voice and encourage action on diversity issues.
Our Networks include:
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Staff Network, including a Friends of the Network for non-Indigenous staff
- Disability and Carers Network
- Health Pride Network
- Gender Equality Network
- Multicultural Network.
We encourage all staff to join a network.
Who we work with
We are members of:
- Reconciliation Australia — a support organisation that promotes and facilitates respect, trust and positive relationships between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and the wider Australian community.
- Pride in Diversity — an employer support program that encourages Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) workplace inclusion.
- Australian Network on Disability — a national organisation that helps employers to welcome people with disability in all aspects of business. We are a Gold member.
- Diversity Council of Australia — an independent not-for-profit peak body leading diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
We recently attained Bronze status through the Australian Workplace Equality Index, a national benchmarking tool on LGBTI workplace inclusion.
Australian Network on Disability Gold Member logo
Pride in diversity logo
Reconciliation Australia logo
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment and career development
We attract and support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff through:
- the Australian Public Service Commission Indigenous Pathways program
- the Department of Human Services Indigenous Apprenticeships Programme
- the Australian Government Indigenous Lateral Entry Program (AGILE)
- affirmative measures recruitment
- career development opportunities and workshops.