Before the visit
Come prepared! Take these steps before you or your child receive a vaccine to help make the immunisation visit less stressful.
- Read any vaccine materials (such as vaccine-preventable conditions and diseases) and write down any questions you have.
- Learn about the benefits and risks of the vaccines that you or your child is receiving.
- Find the personal immunisation record for you or your child and bring it to your appointment. An up-to-date record tells your doctor which vaccines your child has already received.
- A mild illness is usually not a reason to reschedule a vaccination visit. Learn more about vaccines when your child is sick.
Supporting your child
- Be honest with your child. Explain that needles can pinch or sting, but that it won’t hurt for long.
- Encourage other family members, especially older siblings, to support your child.
- Remind children that vaccines can keep them healthy.
11 December 2017