- Tobacco plain packaging
To reduce their appeal, tobacco products must be packaged in a certain colour and not display logos or brands.
- Health warnings on tobacco products
Text and graphic health warnings encourage smokers to quit every time they reach for a smoke.
- Tobacco advertising bans
It's illegal to publish or broadcast messages that encourage people to start or continue smoking.
- World Health Organization (WHO) Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
Australia signed up to this convention to help reduce tobacco use here and around the world.
Other tobacco control measures in Australia include:
- our educational campaigns such as Don't make smokes your story
- taxes on tobacco
- penalties for smuggling or growing illicit tobacco
- limits on the amount of duty-free tobacco you can bring into Australia
For statistics on tobacco control in Australia, see Tobacco control — key facts and figures.
8 April 2019