More than 400, 000 Australians will now be able to access lifesaving scans for cancer, stroke, heart and other medical conditions following a $175 million investment from the Australian Government.
Patients in 30 additional locations right around Australia will now be able to access MRI scans when they need it under Medicare. The first 10 ten locations to receive the new Medicare support are:
- Mount Druitt Hospital, New South Wales
- Sale Hospital, Victoria
- Royal Darwin Hospital, Northern Territory
- Mount Barker, South Australia
- Pindara Private Hospital, Gold Coast, Queensland
- Northern Beaches Hospital, New South Wales
- Toowoomba Hospital, Queensland
- Monash Children’s Hospital, Clayton Victoria
- St John of God Midland Public and Private Hospital, Western Australia
- Kalgoorlie Health Campus, Western Australia
In many cases hospitals already have this technology ready to provide services from 1 November 2018.
The additional 30 sites will increase the total number of fully Medicare eligible MRI machines to 204, a more than 17 per cent increase across Australia.
For more information please visit Minister Hunt's media hub